Show Notes #435: The Weekender LXXX

Listen Now

This Weekend in Amateur Radio (Segment 1)

  • Contests
  • State QSO Party Challenge & WAQP
    • New York
    • Illinois
  • Contests Next Weekend
  • Special Events
  • Announcements
    • CQRLOG Video
  • LHS Ham Radio Challenge
    • Work some JOTA and JOTI. Make the Scouts happy.

This Weekend in Open Source (Segment 2)

  • Distros to Try
  • Events
  • LHS Open Source Challenge
    • Send us an e-mail letting us know what new and interesting things you're doing with open hardware and software.

This Weekend in Hedonism (Segment 3)

  • Cheryl's Recipe Corner!
  • Sheet-Pan Teriyaki Chicken and Pineapple Stir-Fry
  • Description
    • Sometimes I just want something quick and easy to throw together for dinner, and this is that type of meal... and it takes care of my craving for Teriyaki chicken!
  • Ingredients
    • 1/4 cup thick teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman makes a "teriyaki glaze" that is perfect for this!)
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
    • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
    • 1 1/2 cups 1-inch cubes fresh pineapple
    • 2 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
    • 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    • 1 teaspoon sesame seed
    • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • Directions
    • Heat oven to 500°F. Spray 18x13-inch rimmed sheet pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, beat teriyaki sauce, honey and Sriracha sauce with whisk. Add chicken, pineapple, carrots and bell pepper; gently toss to coat. Arrange in single layer on sheet pan. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center (at least 165°F). Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seed and green onions.
  • Cheryl's Mixed Drink Corner
  • Maple Old Fashioned
  • Description
    • While I try to stick with Vodka or Rum drinks (they're my favorite alcoholic beverages), I am also a fan of Bourbon and Scotch.  While perusing for a good fall-themed drink, this one caught my eye... Old Fashions, while I love them, can be a little bitter, but the maple syrup will definitely take that bite away and add a taste of fall to your drink!
  • Ingredients
    • 2 ounces rye whiskey or bourbon
    • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
    • Dash of Angostura bitters
    • Orange peel (for garnish)
  • Directions
    • Mix whiskey, maple syrup, bitters, and 1 tsp. water in an old-fashioned glass until syrup is dissolved. Add a single large ice cube, then garnish with orange peel.
  • Russ's Drink Corner
  • Bushmills Black Bush Irish Whiskey
  • Description
    • While this is a blended whiskey roughly 80% of the source for this product is whiskey that was produced from malted barley. The remaining 20% of the volume comes from grain whiskey that is added and blended together. Once the whiskey is blended, it is aged for up to seven years in a combination of previously used sherry casks and bourbon barrels to impart some of the flavors into the spirit.
  • Details
    • Mashbill: 80% malted barley, 20% grain whiskey
    • Proof: 80 (40% ABV)
    • Region: Northern Ireland
    • Color: Golden honey
    • Nose: Apple, vanilla, salted butter, malted barley
    • Taste: Caramel, apple, cinnamon, vanilla, buttered bread, toffee
    • Finish: Medium, slightly oily finish with hints of barley, soft fruit and oak 
    • Price: $30 (750 ml)
    • Rating: 86
  • Bill's Whatever Corner
  • Maker's Mark Cask Strength
  • Sierra Nevada Big Little Thing Imperial IPA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>