- Welcome back to another episode of LHS.
- Texoma Hamarama
Richard attended Texoma Hamarama at the Ardmore Convention Center in Ardmore, OK. He had a great time and describes his adventures. He took a few pictures and wrote a blog entry for the web site.
HamQTH is a callsign lookup service that is free and does not require a subscription. Russ gives his review. By registering, you can edit some of your information or use the search results in your logging program. Thanks to Ted, WA0EIR, for telling us about it.
- Adventures in Printing
- Richard recently installed Linux Mint on his wife's machine as she was becoming increasingly frustrated with the speed of Windows. He did run into an issue with getting her Lexmark all-in-one printer working, which leads him to a discussion of printing in Linux.
- CUPS, Common Unix Printing System, originally developed by Apple for OS X, has become the standard printing system for Linux. You can administer CUPS by pointing your web browser to https://localhost:631
- Most distributions install the Foomatic driver database. Another source of drivers is Gutenprint.
- If your printer is not listed specifically, you may have success using a generic PCL5, PCL6 or Postscript driver.
- Also check the Linux Foundation OpenPrinting project to see how well a given printer is supported in Linux. It's a good idea to visit this site before you buy the printer.
- Most network printers will be recognized and configured automatically by CUPS.
- Contact Richard at email@example.com, Russ at firstname.lastname@example.org, or both at the same time at email@example.com.
- Listen to the live stream every other Tuesday at 8:00pm Central time. Check the LHS web site for dates.
- Leave us a voice mail at 1-909-LHS-SHOW (1-909-547-7469), or record an introduction to the podcast.
- Sign up for the LHS mailing list.
- Sign up for the MAGNetcon mailing list.
- LHS merchandise is available at the Merch link on Web site. Check out the Badgerwear or buy one of the other LHS-branded items at PrintFection.com/lhs or Cafe Press. Thanks!
- Thanks to Dave from Gamma Leonis for the theme music.
- To be added.